Sunday, November 12, 2017

Why can't I mark episodes as listened on podStation?

I have already received this request countless times, in different variations: Implement a way to mark / hide / archive podcasts that have already been listened.

I would honestly like to have and implement this feature, but there is one main reason I will not do that (anytime soon):

Sync Storage size limitation - 102,400 Bytes - roughly 100 kB, even less then you could store in one of this:

This is the space podStation can use, per user and for free, to store data that is synchronized across computers using your google account.

I created podStation with one main goal: have a good experience playing consuming podcasts on a desktop, while synchronizing your data across computers (i.e.: Home PC and Work PC)

That is why podStation synchronizes for you the podcast list you subscribe to, your playlist and the position (time) of the podcasts you are listening, but it could not safely, within 100 kB, store the information of the list of episodes you have listened :(

I could store this information locally, but I don't feel that the feature would be complete if podStation could not store it on the cloud.

What are the chances for the future?

There is a thing called Sync Filesystem API, which would use space from your Google Drive account, but this API is only available for Chrome apps, not for Chrome extension. You can help by Staring this feature request here and leaving a comment saying this would be helpful, so maybe they will enable it for Chrome extensions as well.

The other option, in case I discover how to consistently make money with podStation, would be to implement my own server side storage.






No comments:

Post a Comment